A Private Organization (PO) is defined as a self sustaining special interest group, set up by people acting exclusively outside the scope of any official capacity as officers, employees, or agents of the federal government. POs are not Federal entities and are not to be treated as such. Additionally:
- They are not Nonappropriated Fund (NAF) instrumentalities, nor are they entitled to the sovereign immunities and privileges enjoyed by NAFIs or the Air Force;
- They operate on Air Force installations with the written consent of the installation commander;
- Unofficial activities/organizations are small groups of individuals, which are not required to be formally established as POs because their current assets (including cash, investments, inventory, and receivables) do not exceed a monthly average of $1,000 over a 3-month period. Examples of unofficial activities/organizations are unit coffee funds, flower funds, sunshine funds, and other small non-resale operations;
- When an unofficial activity/organization’s current monthly assets (which include cash, inventories, receivables, and investments) exceed a monthly average of $1,000 over a 3-month period, the activity/organization MUST become a PO, discontinue on-base operations, or reduce its current assets;
- AFI 34-223 (AFI 34-223 clickable to AFI), Private Organization Program, is the governing policy for establishing POs and contains guidance on their operation. Compliance with this AFI is mandatory.
There are many resources to assist you regarding private organizations and fundraising on Buckley AFB.
- Private organization guide
- Request to conduct a fundraiser
- About fundraising general rules & FAQ
- Commercial Solicitation, On-Base Private Businesses, and the use of base facilities and transportation (460 Space Wing Instruction 90-101)
- Request form to use base facilities/transportation form (460 Space Wing IMT 8)
- Private Organization Commercial Sponsorship Ethics
- Sample constitution and bylaws
- Sample insurance waiver
- Talking paper on fundraising
If you have any questions regarding private organizations or fundraising, please contact the 460th FSS Resource Management Flight.
460 FSS Resource Management
18175 East A-Basin Avenue, Bidg 347
Closed Sat-Sun, Holidays & AFSPS Family Days